DATA PROGRAM MANAGER, JOB DESCRIPTION
Interested in Amazon Echo? Come work on it. We are building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Echo and other Amazon products and services. We are working hard, having fun, and making history; so come join us!
Summary of Position
The Alexa Data Services organization is seeking an experienced program manager to become part of the Data Program Management Team. The Data Program Manager (DPM) plays a pivotal role as the primary integration point between the Amazon customer community and the Alexa Data Services organization, ensuring the timely and successful delivery of products and services according to specific customer needs. S/He represents the “face and voice of the customer” for all ADS groups.
As part of this role, the DPM is expected to streamline, invent and simplify processes, and make the business work more efficiently, while being able to communicate effectively, put the right people in the room, and write concise and clear documents. To be successful in this position, the candidate should have demonstrated experience and success leading impactful, cross-functional programs/projects using program management processes and project portfolio techniques (to manage priorities for multiple projects). In addition, he/she should possess a track record of being detail oriented with a demonstrated ability to self–motivate and follow through on projects, be able to deliver results while dealing with ambiguity, and be able to anticipate and manage risk and change in a highly dynamic environment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Strategy, Planning and Customer Engagement
1. Maintain an ongoing partnership with ADS internal customers (devices and domains), maintaining knowledge of their specific deployment roadmaps and strategies, while managing the programs that support their critical data and information requirements and priorities.
2. Keep customers informed and updated on system changes, enhancements, upgrades, and other system related information that may influence the delivery of data requirements, working with them to establish priorities and deliver on commitments.
3. Contribute to the overall success of ADS through strong peer-to-peer relationships with the rest of the organization, actively participating and providing input to the monthly and quarterly business review cycles, while driving parts of the operational planning process (OP1/2) to reflect customer needs and expectations.
4. In collaboration with other DPMs, address individual customer’s data and information requirements and priorities by strategically managing the data allocations across all domains, devices and locales (redistribution of quotas), to support specific needs, drive costs down and achieve process efficiencies.
5. Communicate proposals and solutions in a way that builds business understanding of ADS and its capabilities and offerings, while managing customer expectations.
6. Work with customers to develop business cases for off-cycle and barge-in requests that respond to urgent business needs.
7. Establish continuous learning practices for the customer’s team to keep pace with evolving data capabilities offered by ADS.
Tactical Management and Delivery
1. Develop standards and guidelines for data requirements elicitation, data requirements planning, monitoring and consumption.
2. Establish and maintains mechanisms for effective consolidation of data requirements, technical requirements, conventions and tooling needs associated with customer requests including service level identification and monitoring.
3. Ensure all projects and programs adhere to the standards and guidelines established by and for the Data Program Management group.
4. Train, coach and enable the development of team members, continuously improving the competencies and capabilities required for long-term success.
5. Actively track and report progress against key program objectives and milestones, including identification of issues, risks and mitigation strategies (weekly status reports).
6. Perform root cause and impact analysis to investigate issues and make recommendations for potential solutions, coordinating dependencies with other ADS team as needed.
7. Monitor and reports performance metrics specific for his/her program (in addition to standard metrics), as well as those critical to measure the performance of the Data Program Management practice as a whole.
8. Identify opportunities for improvement and directly writes or participates in the writing of docs (proposals) for the implementation of ideas to address those opportunities.